Huntington Local History & Genealogy
The Mary Talmage Local History Room
Our local history room houses a collection of materials consisting of photographs, postcards, scrapbooks, maps, newspaper clippings, oral histories, and many unique items that were originally housed in the Soldier's and Sailor's Memorial Building, and moved to our present location at 338 Main Street.
or by appointment
For further information about our collection, doing research or donating materials, please contact Teresa Schwind at 631-427-5165 ext. 250 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Huntington Public Library and Town history through historic photographs, documents, postcards, oral histories, and a Walt Whitman collection —
Family History Center Microfilm/Microfiche Service
Your gateway to a vast collection of genealogical and historical records!
As a Huntington Public Library patron, you are entitled to request microfilm and microfiche listed in the Family History Library Catalog. As the requestor, you are responsible for all charges and will make payments directly to the Family History Center. Your requested items will be delivered to Huntington Public Library for you.
Note: Before ordering any film, check the Family History Library Catalog to see if there is a digital copy online for you to view.
(for film loans in the United States and Canada)
- Short-term Film Loan $7.50
- Short-term Film Loan Extension $7.50
- Extended Film Loan $18.75
- Microfiche Loan $4.75
ORDERING IS SIMPLE!
For information on creating a new account, searching and ordering, CLICK HERE.
For additional assistance, please contact the Adult Reference and Services department at email@example.com.
Highlights of our Collection
- A Sermon Preached at Brook-haven, on Long Island, June 15th, 1758, previous to the Ordination of The Rev. Mr. Abner Brush, published 1758
- A Sketch of the First Settlement of the Several Towns on Long Island by Silas Wood, 1826
- New York City Directories: 1786, 1811, 1863, 1873
- Huntington Phonebooks (1978-present)
- Original Walt Whitman Correspondence
- Historic Documents and Letters: Wills, Deeds and Correspondence relating to Ketcham, Lloyd and Wood families (1704-1914)
- Huntington School District High School Yearbooks (1930-present)
- The Scribe, Huntington High School, vol. 1, no. 1, December 1904
- The Question Mark, Huntington High School, Feb 1935 - June 1936
- Census Records (1920-1924)
- Portico (Huntington Newspaper) - (1826-1827)
- Harper's Magazine (1850-1944)
- Harpers Weekly (1857-1864)
- National Enquirer (1827)
- Long Island Forum (1939-2004)
- Long Island Historical Journal (1988-2008)
- Huntington Historical Society Quarterly (1961-1986)
- Suffolk County Historical Society Register (1978-2002)
- New York History (1960-2001)
- New England Historical and Genealogical Register (1859-2004)
- New York Genealogical and Biographical Record (1872-present)