Join us for the 2020 Long Island Reads Selection Award Event honoring Erika Swyler for her novel Light From Other Stars. Erika was born and raised on Long Island and graduated from Miller Place High School. Both of her critically-acclaimed novels draw heavily from her experience of living in Long Island’s small towns. She will be speaking at:
Plainview-Old Bethpage Public Library
999 Old Country Road, Plainview, NY 11803
Sunday, April 19, 2020 • 2:00 p.m.
FREE tickets will be available to the public beginning Friday, March 2 at 9:30 am at https://longislandreads.wordpress.com/
Long Island Reads is an island-wide reading initiative, spearheaded by a group of Suffolk and Nassau County librarians, intended to bring together readers from across Long Island to discuss a book and participate in library-sponsored activities and associated events.
Prior to the Award Event on April 19th, Huntington Public Library we will be having an evening book discussion of Light From Other Stars in our Auditorium on April 15 at 7:00 p.m.
A synopsis of Light From Other Stars, by Erika Swyler: Decades after her grieving father, a laid-off NASA scientist, triggers chaotic changes in his pursuit of life-extending technology, astronaut Nedda Pappas must confront dangerous family secrets to stop a world threatening crisis. Join us to discuss this poignant, genre-bending novel that keenly illuminates the magical limits of science, while exploring in detail the bonds of family, friendship and love of home.
Registration required. Open to all
- Proof of identification (photo ID).
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents.
- An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted for you, your spouse and your dependents if you do not have a Social Security number.
- Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN.
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return.
- Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc) from all employers.
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099).
- Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received.
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
- Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as a blank check.
- To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number.
- Forms 1095-A, B and C, Health Coverage Statements.
- Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable.
The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides. Late one night, glamorous Alicia Berenson shoots her husband five times in the face, then refuses to speak another word. Her refusal to talk turns a domestic tragedy into a mystery that captures the public’s imagination and the attention of a criminal psychotherapist determined to get her to talk and search for the truth. Registration required. Open to all.