Our Local History Room, located on the second floor of the Main Building has new hours! A librarian will be available to answer your genealogy and history related questions or you are invited to just browse the collection:
Tuesdays • 1:00 pm – 4:30 pm
Thursdays • 9:00 am – 1:00 pm
Wednesdays • 5:00 pm – 8:30 pm
First Saturday of every month • 10:00 am to 2:00 pm
To make individual appointments or for more information, contact Teresa Schwind at 631–427-5165 x 202 or by email: .
This Month's Featured Databases
Fold3 features premier collections of original military records. These records include the stories, photos, and personal documents of the men and women who served in the military. Many of records come the U.S. National Archives, The National Archives of U.K. and many others.
HeritageQuest Online provides genealogical and historical sources for more than 60 countries, with coverage dating back as early as the 1700s.
History Reference Center is the world's most extensive full-text history reference database, featuring full text for reference books, encyclopedias, non-fiction books, periodicals and many other historical sources from leading history publishers.
Suffolk County Topic Guides: Genealogy: Getting Started
New to Our Collection
Long Island Memories
- Ensure public access to the rich regional resources of Long Island.
- Promote the economic and efficient delivery of digital resources to the people of Long Island.
- Contribute to the State and National effort to develop digital libraries and museums.
- Encourage the use of digital resources to meet the New York State education standards.
Highlights of our Collection
- A Sermon Preached at Brook-haven, on Long Island, June 15th, 1758, previous to the Ordination of The Rev. Mr. Abner Brush, published 1758
- A Sketch of the First Settlement of the Several Towns on Long Island by Silas Wood, 1826
- New York City Directories: 1786, 1811, 1863, 1873
- Huntington Phonebooks (1978-present)
- Original Walt Whitman Correspondence
- Historic Documents and Letters: Wills, Deeds and Correspondence relating to Ketcham, Lloyd and Wood families (1704-1914)
- Huntington School District High School Yearbooks (1930-present)
- The Scribe, Huntington High School, vol. 1, no. 1, December 1904
- The Question Mark, Huntington High School, Feb 1935 - June 1936
- Census Records (1920-1924)
Historic Newspapers:Portico (Huntington Newspaper) - (1826-1827)
- Harper's Magazine (1850-1944)
- Harpers Weekly (1857-1864)
- National Enquirer (1827)
- Long Island Forum (1939-2004)
- Long Island Historical Journal (1988-2008)
- Huntington Historical Society Quarterly (1961-1986)
- Suffolk County Historical Society Register (1978-2002)
- New York History (1960-2001)
- New England Historical and Genealogical Register (1859-2004)
- New York Genealogical and Biographical Record (1872-present)