2016-2017 Annual Budget Vote and Trustee Election
Tuesday, April 5, 2016 10:00am - 9:00pm
The Huntington Public Library’s annual vote will take place on Tuesday, April 5, 2016, from 10:00 am - 9:00 pm at the Main Library (338 Main Street). The summary budget proposal should be available online and in print by Tuesday, March 1, 2015.
On April 5, 2016, there will also be an election to fill a five year term on the Board of Trustees. To become a candidate for this office, you must meet the district eligibility requirements listed in Article II, Section 2 of the Huntington Public Library By-Laws.
Eligible candidates must submit a petition with at least twenty-five (25) signatures to the School District Clerk by Monday, March 7, 2016, 3:00 pm. Petitions are available at the District Clerk's Office, 50 Tower Street, Huntington Station (631) 673-2126. For more information, contact Joanne Adam, Library Director at (631) 427-5165, ext. 206, or by email at .
VOTER REGISTRATION INFO
Residents of Huntington Union Free School District who wish to register to vote may do so by presenting themselves personally at the Office of the District Clerk, 50 Tower Street, Huntington Station, between the hours of 9:00 am - 3:00 pm, Monday - Friday, except for the five (5) days preceding the vote. You may vote if you meet the following qualifications. If in doubt, contact the Office of the District Clerk at 631-673-2126.
- You are a U.S. citizen.
- You are at least 18 years of age.
- You have been a resident of HUFSD #3 for at least thirty (30) days prior to the vote.
- You are registered with either the School District or for the General Election.
ABSENTEE BALLOTS INFO
- Submit an application for absentee ballot to the Office of the District Clerk. Applications are available at the Library and at the Office of the District Clerk.
- Submit the application for absentee ballot at least seven (7) days before the vote on April 21, if the absentee ballot is to be mailed to the voter.
- If the voter wishes to pick up an absentee ballot personally, the voter must present the application for absentee ballot to the Clerk at least one (1) day before the vote.
- The absentee ballot must be filed with the District Clerk by 5:00 pm on the day of the vote, Tuesday, April 5, 2016. For more information, please call the District clerk at 631-673-2126.
Every April, readers from libraries in Nassau and Suffolk counties join together to celebrate a book with a Long Island connection through book discussions, programs and author events. This year’s Long Island Reads selection, Leaving Time by native Long Islander Jodi Picoult, presents the haunting story of a teenage girl’s search for her missing mother in the intriguing world of elephant rescue. Psychic phenomena, elephant psychology and grief’s emotional toll all play a part in Picoult’s intricate page-turner.
The highlight of this year’s Long Island Reads activities will be an author event with Jodi Picoult at Stony Brook University on Sunday, April 10, 2016 at 2PM. Tickets will be required and will be available starting in March. More information on the author event will be available soon on the Long Island Reads website.
Join us for local programs at HPL, too, in celebration of this island-wide literary event.